“The Way of Rest reads like a long poem to waking up in life as it is. For free spirits and those interested in ‘the pathless path,’ this book will be a great companion and friendly guide.”
author of Lovingkindness
“Every great adventure is fueled by rest,” teaches Jeff Foster. “And for your journey ahead, you’ll need all of your resources.” The Way of Rest brings readers the latest book from this beloved voice for a new generation of seekers. Here, Jeff writes from a place of keen sensitivity and understanding in order to provide relief for anyone facing the difficulties of loss, failure, or rejection–and offers empowering insights for accessing the untapped inner strengths we all possess.
“This book is about rediscovering that you are perfect even in your imperfection,” explains Jeff, “and that your pain, confusion, and exhaustion are saturated with intelligence and sacredness.” Whether read as daily inspirations or cover to cover, this treasury of teachings guides us in cultivating vulnerability, finding peace of mind, and celebrating the majesty of the moment.
The Way of Rest gathers nearly 200 of Jeff Foster’s most inspiring essays, poems, and reflections on restoring and reviving ourselves when we feel exhausted or defeated. Drawing from his personal journey—including his own struggles with illness and depression—Jeff invites us to contemplate “the Way of Rest” and its potential to transform our experience of:
- Imperfection—how we are “gloriously flawed” yet complete exactly as we are
- Not knowing—how we come to trust in the greater intelligence of life
- Melancholy and loneliness—how we learn to release the healing energies of “exquisite sensitivity”
- Ordinary moments—recognizing and receiving “the closest thing of all”
- Discomfort and discontent—how our frustrations become an opening to deep peace
- Love—rediscovering who we are beyond our carefully constructed facades
- Silence—discovering the vibrancy of living by letting go of thoughts and concepts
“I hope the words in this book inspire, challenge, and encourage you. But most of all, I hope they help you remember that you are life, inseparable from the power that grows the flowers and gives birth to galaxies,” writes Jeff Foster. The Way of Rest brings you his companionship and support whenever you need it most.
Jeff Foster shares from his own awakened experience a way out of seeking fulfillment in the future and into the acceptance of “all this, here and now.” He studied astrophysics at Cambridge University. Following a period of depression and physical illness, he embarked on an intensive spiritual search that came to an end with the discovery that life itself was what he had always been seeking.