* 7/14 eve to 8/19 eve (7/28 peak): Delta Aquarid Meteor Showers.
* 7/27 eve to 8/2 eve: Panathenaea–Old Greek festival of Goddess Athena – as daughter of Wisdom (Goddess Metis) and font of reason.
* 7/29 eve to 8/17 eve (8/12 peak): Perseid Meteor Showers.
* 7/31 eve to 8/2 eve: Lughnasadh–Old Celtic/Irish Feast of Goddess Tailtiu and God Lugh (Deities of Sustenance and Light).
* 7/31 eve to 8/6 eve: Mid-Summer/First Harvest/Lammas–Festival of thanksgiving for the first of the grain harvest; celebrated by offering the first fruits of the grain harvest and prayers for sustenance for all.
* 8/2 (4:45 p.m. EDT): New Moon.
* 8/2: Feast of the Black Madonna.
* 8/4 to 8/7: Zuni Corn Dance–in thanksgiving to Mother Earth, the Kokos (Nature Spirits), and the Corn Maidens for the maize harvest.
* 8/6: Chokhor Duchen–Tibetan Buddhist celebration of the Buddha’s first teaching.
* 8/6: Mindfulness Day–Zen Buddhist day for being mindful that desire for power over others results from ignorance of interdependence.
* 8/6 (OC 8/19): Transfiguration Day–Christian feast celebrating the revelation of Lord Jesus as the Cosmic Christ and friend to all humanity.
* 8/6: Day the Voting Rights Act became law (1965) – register to vote!
* 8/6 to 8/7: Old Egyptian festival of Neter Thoth, God of Knowledge and Wisdom.
* 8/7: Gaia Consciousness Day–Day to meditate on Mother Earth as a living planet.
* 8/8 eve to 8/9 eve: Feast of Old Greek Goddess Artemis – as defender of rights and liberties, and punisher of rapists and oppressors.
* 8/11: Christian feast of St. Clare of Assisi (d. 1253), guide of environmentalists.
* 8/13: Dakas’ Day–Day Tantric Buddhists make offerings to the Dakas and Father Tantra; day to unite will and power to manifest positive social change and environmental healing.
* 8/14 eve to 8/15 eve: Old Greek festival honoring Athena Polias and Zeus Polios as protectors of city and state.
* 8/15 (OC 8/28): Assumption Day–Christian feast commemorating Blessed Mother Mary rising into Heaven and being crowned Queen of Heaven and Earth.
* 8/18 (5:24 a.m. to 6:01 a.m. EDT): Penumbral Lunar Eclipse (visible in North America).
* 8/19: Vinalia–Old Roman festival of thanksgiving for the first of the grape harvest; celebrated by offering the first fruits of the grape harvest and prayers for sustenance for all.
* 8/19: World Humanitarian Day–Day to honor humanitarian workers world-wide, particularly those who have lost their lives in service to others; day to aid those in need.
* 8/22: Christian feast of Our Lady, Queen of Angels.
* 8/23: Beginning of Virgo (the Grain Maiden/Man).
* 8/23: Feast of the Furies–honoring Nemesis and the Erinyes, Old Greek Goddesses who punish murderers, abusers, and exploiters of others. .
* 8/25: Old Roman festival of Goddess Ops, Lady of the Cornucopia, Bounty of the Harvest, and Sustainer of Life.
* 8/27: Birthday of Mother Teresa (Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu) (1910), Catholic nun who served the poorest of the poor and saw Deity in each person. She witnessed her faith by example, rather than by proselytizing, and respected those of other faiths.
* 8/28: Day of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s peaceful march on Washington, D.C., for recognition of the rights of African Americans (1963).
* 8/29 to 9/5: Paryusana–Jain festival of recitation of holy scripture, fasting, self-discipline, introspection, and reserve.
THE MYSTIC’S WHEEL OF THE YEAR 2016
A Multifaith Calendar Reflecting Eco-Egalitarian Spirituality
© 2015 Marija Miovski