* 1/31 eve to 2/3 eve: Mid-Winter/Groundhog’s Day/Candlemas–Festival marking the transformation from death to life – the beginning of the agricultural year, awakening of hibernating animals, and return of migrating birds and fish. Observed with a candlelight procession to bless fields and seeds, recognition of newborns, and contemplation of life.
* 2/1: Mindfulness Day–Zen Buddhist day for being mindful that you, and all that is, are in the process of transformation.
* 2/1 to 2/28: February dedicated to Old Roman God-Goddess Februus-Februa – purifier and protector of the home. Homes were cleaned and blessed, offerings of reparation were given, and peace was made.
* 2/3 to 2/11: Iroquois Mid-Winter Ceremony–for continuation of all life-sustaining things. Iroquois believe Awenhai/Sky Woman created the Sun, Moon, and Stars from Her body.
* 2/5 eve to 2/6 eve: Feast of Old Greek Goddess Artemis – as creatrix, midwife of birthing creatures, protector of the young, and punisher of child abusers.
* 2/10 eve to 2/13 eve: Anthesteria–Old Greek festival honoring Dionysos as Plouton, God of the Dead, and welcoming the visiting dead from Elysium.
* 2/13 to 2/15: Lupercalia/St. Valentine’s Day–Old Roman festival of God-Goddess Faunus-Fauna; merged with the Christian feast of St. Valentine – celebrating love of all kinds.
* 2/14 (6:53 p.m. EST): Full Moon (Cold/Seed Moon).
* 2/14 to 2/22: Navajo Sing–Festival in which fields are blessed in preparation for planting. Navajos believe Estsanatlehi/Changing Woman wields the power to constantly create and change the world.
* 2/17 to 2/18: Old Egyptian festival of Neteret Bastet, Cat Goddess who protects the home and fosters domestic harmony.
* 2/18: Birthday of Ramakrishna Paramahansa (1836), Hindu mystic who fervently loved Great Goddess Maha Devi – Mother of God, Mother of Nature, Elemental Matter, and Cosmic Power. He recognized Her immanence in all, and knew Her to be a manifestation of the one universal Deity.
* 2/19: Beginning of Pisces (the Fishes).
* 2/19 eve to 2/26 eve: Lesser Eleusinian Mysteries–Old Greek festival celebrating the marriage of Goddess Kore and God Dionysos, following their return from Elysium.
* 2/22: Caristia–Old Roman festival for renewing family ties and patching up quarrels.
* 2/22 (Obs. 2/17): Birthday of George Washington (1732), first president of the U.S. He ensured that the military was subordinate to the civilian government. –Hindu fast, night vigil, and feast for God-Goddess Shiva-Shakti (union of Will and Power), who dances to create, destroy, and re-create the Universe. Tantric Hindus believe Shiva is within all men and Shakti within all women.
* 2/28: Old Slavic Velja Noc–Spirits of the dead visit their living relatives, overseen by Veles, Lord of the Dead. Morana and Jarilo are born of Solntse (Goddess of the Sun) and Perun (God of the Sky). Veles steals Jarilo and raises him in Virey, realm of the dead.
THE MYSTIC’S WHEEL OF THE YEAR 2014
A Multifaith Calendar Reflecting Eco-Egalitarian Spirituality
© 2013 Marija Miovski