* 7/2: Day Tibetan and Mahayana Buddhists do good deeds and chant the name of Buddha God Amitabha to gain entry to His Pure Land and aid in attaining nirvana.
* 7/2: Visitation Day–Christian feast marking St. Elizabeth’s recognition of Blessed Mary’s divine destiny as catalyst for human liberation and redemption.
* 7/4: Mindfulness Day–Zen Buddhist day for being mindful that alienation and hunger for possessions results from ignorance of interconnectedness.
* 7/4: U.S. Independence Day–Day to celebrate the right of all peoples to exercise peaceful, democratic self-determination.
* 7/4: Death day of Thomas Jefferson (1826), who ensured that the U.S. Constitution would protect basic rights and liberties. A Deist, he practiced a religion that was based on Nature, reason, and ethics.
* 7/6 (4:00 p.m. EDT): Earth Aphelion–when the Earth is farthest from the Sun.
* 7/7: Tanabata–Shinto rite honoring the Kami of the Stars. * 7/10: Day the World Union for Progressive Judaism was founded to promote progressive values within Judaism (1926).
* 7/12: Birthday of Henry David Thoreau (1817), Transcendentalist and naturalist who believed in individualism and living simply in harmony with Nature.
* 7/13 eve: Laylat al-Qadr/Night of Power–Commemorates the first revelation of the Qur’an to Muslim Prophet Muhammad by the Angel Gabriel in 610 CE. The Qur’an says: “Let there be no compulsion in religion.”
* 7/13 to 7/15: Obon–Zen Buddhist festival honoring departed ancestors.
* 7/14: Old Egyptian birthday feast of Neter Osiris – partner and true love of Isis, and father of Horus; guide of all husbands, fathers, and judges.
* 7/14 to 7/25 (I 7/23): Old Norse/Icelandic Mid-Summer Althingi–Community gathering for democratic decision making. Forseti and Tyr, Gods of Justice and Self-Sacrifice, were honored.
* 7/14 eve to 8/19 eve (7/28 peak): Delta Aquarid Meteor Showers.
* 7/15 to 7/21: Iroquois Green Corn Ceremony–in thanksgiving for the maize harvest.
* 7/16 eve to 7/19 eve: Eid al-Fitr–Muslim festival celebrating the end of Ramadan.
* 7/17: Old Egyptian birthday feast of Neteret Isis – partner and true love of Osiris, and mother of Horus; guide of all wives, mothers, healers, advocates, and teachers.
* 7/18: Day South Africa’s apartheid was internationally outlawed (1976); birthday of Nelson Mandela, non-violent anti-apartheid activist (1918).
* 7/19: Secular Humanism Day–Day to celebrate all life-affirming humanist, rationalist, and scientific belief systems.
* 7/20: Chokhor Duchen–Tibetan Buddhist celebration of the Buddha’s first teaching.
* 7/20 to 8/2: Old Egyptian festival marking the return to Egypt of Neteret Isis, Neter Osiris, and the rains that inundate the Nile River.
* 7/22: Christian feast of St. Mary Magdalen, disciple and priestess–Savior Jesus made her His priestess by purifying her seven times; she anointed Him in preparation for His sacrifice and witnessed His torture, death, and resurrection.
* 7/23: Beginning of Leo (the Lion/Lioness).
* 7/23: Mayan Sun Festival–honoring Sun God Ahau Kin; celebrated with devotional offerings of food, song, prayer, and a ritual procession that symbolically travels to the four quarters of the Universe.
* 7/25 eve to 7/26 eve: Tish’a B’Av–Jewish fast day mourning the destruction of the Temples in Jerusalem dedicated to Elohim.
* 7/26: Christian feast of St. Anna, mother of Blessed Mary and grandmother of Blessed Jesus; guide of grandmothers and elderly women.
* 7/26: Birthday of Dr. Carl Gustav Jung (1875), founder of archetypal psychology, which explores universal concepts of Deity and their relation to the individual psyche.
* 7/27 to 8/3: Chinese Buddhist festival of Kuan Yin, Supreme Goddess of Nature and Perfect Buddha of many emanations; celebrates Her enlightenment and Her bodhisattva vow to help all sentient beings.
* 7/29 eve to 8/17 eve (8/12 peak): Perseid Meteor Showers.
* 7/30: Friendship Day. * 7/31 (6:43 a.m. EDT): Full Moon (Grain-Harvest/Thunder Moon).
* 7/31 eve to 8/1 eve: Synoikia–Old Greek festival celebrating the peaceful cooperation of states. Offerings were made to Aphrodite and Eirene, Goddesses of friendship and peace.
* 7/31 eve to 8/2 eve: Lughnasadh–Old Celtic/Irish Feast of Goddess Tailtiu and God Lugh (Deities of Sustenance and Light).
* 7/31 eve to 8/7 eve: Mid-Summer/First Harvest/Lammas.
THE MYSTIC’S WHEEL OF THE YEAR 2015
A Multifaith Calendar Reflecting Eco-Egalitarian Spirituality
© 2014 Marija Miovski