* 6/3 eve to 6/5 eve: Shavuot/Feast of First Fruits–Jewish festival of thanksgiving for the first fruits of the grain harvest. Originally, loaves of bread were offered to Elohim.
).* 6/7: Mindfulness Day–Zen Buddhist day for mindfully seeing the interdependence of all things at all times.
* 6/7 to 6/15: Vestalia–Old Roman festival honoring Goddess Vesta. Women made food offerings at the sacred hearths of home and temple.
* 6/8 (OC 6/8): Pentecost/Whitsunday–Christian feast celebrating the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the male and female disciples of Lord Jesus; honors Her as the Paraclete, Grace, Wisdom, Justice, and Providence.
* 6/8: World Oceans Day–Day to recognize the world’s dependence on the oceans for food and medicine; day to advocate for the sustainable management of all ocean resources and for an end to the pollution of the oceans with toxins and trash.
* 6/10: Day Alcoholics Anonymous was founded (1935); day to begin/celebrate recovery from alcohol and drug addiction.
* 6/13: Old Egyptian feast of Neteret Hathor, Goddess of Love and Fertility.
* 6/13: Saga Dawa Duchen–Tibetan Buddhist festival celebrating the birth, enlightenment, and parinirvana of Buddha Siddhartha Gautama (563-483 BCE).
* 6/13: Christian feast of St. Anthony (d. 1231), guardian of the poor and the powerless, and guide of social justice activists.
*6/14 eve: Vigil for lost fathers; night of mourning and healing.
* 6/15: Fathers’ Day–Day to give love and thanks to all fathers; day for all fathers to celebrate fatherhood and contemplate their sacred duty to provide for the physical, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual needs of their children.
* 6/15: Suijin Matsuri–Shinto rite honoring the Kami of Water.
* 6/15: Trinity Sunday–Christian celebration of the one universal Deity as Holy Heavenly Father, Holy Spirit Mother, and Holy Christ Child.
* 6/15: Wind Power Day.
* 6/17: Day to celebrate Starhawk’s work in reclaiming the Goddess and raising Goddess-consciousness. She teaches an eco-egalitarian form of Wicca.
* 6/20 to 6/21: Feast of the Great Spirit/Great Mystery that encompasses Mother Earth and Father Sky – honoring Deity as Orenda (Iroquois), Asgaya Galun Lati (Cherokee), Wakan Tanka (Lakota) & Awonawilona (Zuni).
* 6/20 to 6/23: Lakota Sun Dance–Festival of prayer, fasting, dancing, and healing in honor of Sun God Wi; offerings are also made to Maka/Mother Earth and Haokah/Father Sky. Lakotas believe all Deities are aspects of Creator Takuskanskan.
* 6/21: Beginning of Cancer (the Crab/Scarab). * 6/21: Taoist festival honoring Shang-Ti/Heavenly Emperor, Father of Justice and Law, and manifestation of the Te (Virtuous Inner Power). Also celebrates the peak of the masculine Yang half of the year and the Shen of Fire, South, and Summer; prayers are made for strength and maturity, and offerings are made to the ancestors.
* 6/24: First appearance of Our Lady of Medjugorje, Queen of Peace, Mother of All Peoples (Yugoslavia 1981).
* 6/24 to 6/27: Zuni Corn Dance–for fertility and rains to aid the maize, bean, and squash crops. Prayer sticks are planted in the fields.
* 6/27 to 6/30: Iroquois Green Bean Ceremony–in thanksgiving for the bean harvest; celebrated with tobacco offerings, singing, drumming, dancing, and feasting.
* 6/27 eve to 7/27 eve: Ramadan–Muslim month of purification by self-reflection, fasting from sunrise to sunset, peace-making, and helping those in need. Ramadan Truce (through Eid al-Fitr): Time to cease all forms of conflict (at least temporarily), extend a greeting to your adversary, and share an iftar for peace.
* 6/30: Oharai/Grand Purification Festival–Shinto rite exorcising evil from the world.
THE MYSTIC’S WHEEL OF THE YEAR 2014
A Multifaith Calendar Reflecting Eco-Egalitarian Spirituality
© 2013 Marija Miovski