* 9/2 eve to 10/2 eve: Elul–Jewish month of self-reflection, peace-making, and renewal. Elul‑Rosh Hashanah Truce (through Yom Kippur).
* 9/3: Mindfulness Day–Zen Buddhist day for being mindful that harm to the Earth and sentient beings results from ignorance of interdependence. .
* 9/4 eve to 9/5 eve: Feast of Old Greek Deities Aphrodite and Hermes–Day to honor the divine feminine and divine masculine in harmony.
* 9/5: Labor Day–Day to reflect on the sacredness of all work and the value of ethical, meaningful employment.
* 9/7 eve to 9/14 eve: Hajj–Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca to honor Allah. Hajj Truce (through Eid al‑Adha).
* 9/8 (OC 9/21): Birthday of Blessed Mary, catalyst of liberation and redemption.
* 9/9: Day Tibetan Buddhists meditate on Bodhisattva Goddess Gold Tara, provider of all sustenance and necessities.
* 9/9: Christian feast of St. Joachim, father of Blessed Mary and grandfather of Blessed Jesus; guide of grandfathers and elderly men.
* 9/10 eve: Vigil for lost grandparents; night of mourning and healing.
* 9/11: Grandparents’ Day–Day to give love and thanks to all grandparents; day for all grandparents to celebrate their age and contemplate their sacred duty to share their wisdom with the young.
* 9/11: Day to mourn all victims of terrorism.
* 9/12 eve to 9/13 eve: Demokratia–Old Greek festival celebrating democracy, constitutional government, and justice under law. Zeus Agoraios, Athena Agoraias, and Themis were honored.
* 9/13 eve to 9/22 eve: Greater Eleusinian Mysteries–Old Greek festival recalling Goddess Demeter’s search for Her missing daughter Kore.
* 9/16 to 9/24: Navajo Sing–Festival in thanksgiving for the harvest. Estsanatlehi/Changing Woman is believed to represent life, and is manifested in the harvest.
* 9/17: Christian feast of St. Hildegard von Bingen (d. 1179), mystic who sang praises to the Holy Spirit as Grace (Caritas) and Wisdom (Sapientia). She recognized the Holy Spirit to be the feminine aspect of the Holy Trinity, and found Her everywhere in Nature.
* 9/19: Appearance of Our Lady of La Salette, Mother of the Harvest (France 1846).
* 9/22: Old Slavic Dozhinki–At the end of the grain harvest, God Jarilo betrays Goddess Morana, and he returns to the realm of the dead. Morana’s anger and sadness causes the world to become dark, cold, and dead.
* 9/22 to 9/23: Coya Rayni–Inca festival honoring Moon Goddess Quilla; focus is on purging sickness and evil.
* 9/23: Beginning of Libra (the Scales of Lady Justice).
* 9/23: Taoist festival honoring the Shen of Winds, West, and Autumn; thanksgiving is made for the harvest. Taoists believe the unity of Yin (Eternal Feminine) and Yang (Eternal Masculine) make up the psyche-matter-energy of the eternal all-encompassing Ch’i.
* 9/23: Aki-no-Higan–Day Japanese Buddhists mark the time of change by meditating on the impermanence of life.
* 9/25: Old Egyptian festival of Neter Amen-Ra-Atem, the Great God, and Neteret Amenet-Rait-Mut, the Great Goddess.
* 9/27 eve to 9/28 eve: Old Greek festival honoring Gaia and the Nymphs (the male and female Spirits of Nature).
* 9/28: Birthday of Confucius (K’ung Fu-Tzu) (551 BCE). He taught that societal harmony could be realized when individuals acted with loving care for family, concern for friends and neighbors, benevolence to strangers, and respect for all.
* 9/29: Feast of Michael, Angel of Protection, and Uriel, Angel of Justice.
* 9/30: Christian feast of Hagia Sophia (Holy Wisdom), Soul of the Universe, and source of faith, hope, and love.
* 9/30: Birthday of Jalal ad-Din Rumi (1207), Sufi saint and poet. He believed the soul to be one with Deity, and thought ecstatic experience of Deity could be attained with music, whirling dance, and chanting Deity’s holy names. .
* 9/30 eve: Old European feast of the Triple Goddess (Goddess of the Moon and the Seasons), marking the transformation of the Mother into the Crone.
* 9/30 to 10/3: Iroquois Squash Ceremony–in thanksgiving for the squash harvest.
THE MYSTIC’S WHEEL OF THE YEAR 2016
A Multifaith Calendar Reflecting Eco-Egalitarian Spirituality
© 2015 Marija Miovski